I hate it when I change my routine (either diet or workout) since it messes up my system and manifests into insomnia. Usually it hits the 2nd night after the change and considering I started low carb eating (about 75 grams/day) last Friday I figured I would have a rough time Sunday night, or Monday night. Both of those nights I didn’t have a problem so I thought that maybe this time would be different, but alas, it hit me last night. Went to bed at a reasonable hour too (11PM last night, which is reasonable in our house). I should have realized the pending sleeplessness when I got a burst of energy at 9:30 and decided to clean the house. Not really a full cleaning, but vacuuming the living room (after using a carpet groomer to pick up all the dog hair) and cleaning the kitchen. Only took about 30 minutes, but after that I was wired. Also didn’t help that when I did finally fall asleep, about 2AM, our 10-yr old Autistic son decided it was time for him to come barging into our room. He doesn’t sleep well, and either comes down stairs about 20 minutes after being put to bed and ends up going to sleep on our floor, or, like last night, comes into our room in the middle of the night. Sucked when the bell rang at 5:30.
With the lack of sleep I figured I’d have a rough go in the gym this morning, after Tuesday’s decaffeinated session (no coffee pre-workouts sucks) I didn’t want to have two days this week where I mailed in my workout. Fortunately I was able to go intense and heavy shoulders.
- Military press (Barbell) – full extension, 4 sets; 12, 10, 8, 6 reps; 85 – 95 weight
- Standing Cable shoulder raises (these with feet near bar but body angled away), 4 sets; 12, 10, 8, 6 reps; 30 – 45 weight
- Upright Rows – 4 sets; 12, 10, 8, 6 reps; 80 – 115 weight (Korn’s Blind came on the Shuffle as I started this so I went heaver than usual)
- Front raises (Dumbbell) – 3 sets; 12, 10, 8 reps; 20 – 30 weight (1/2 set was alternating/1/2 set simultaneously)
- Dumbbell Shrugs – 3 sets; 12, 10, 8 reps; 80 – 90 weight
- 15 minutes treadmill HIIT – 60/60 splits (4.0/8.0 MPH)
Very good session this morning, haven’t worked shoulders that hard in a while. My last routine only incorporated o presses and seated Arnold presses. All reps were slow and controlled and as usual I tried to go very strict on my form. Also did that Mobility in Minutes routine I posted from You Tube yesterday. Love doing stuff like that in the gym, make me look like I know what I’m doing!
Oh, and as for not getting much sleep last night….dun, dun, dah….magic potion to the rescue…