Arm day – normally I don’t do arms on a specific day of the week, but with the routine I’m doing now my main goal is time – getting a quality workout in between the time I hit the gym floor and my drop dead leave time of 7:25am. The other routines I’ve done in the past were like Chest, Shoulders and Triceps, or Back and Biceps, take more time so I end up cutting the sets or exercises short (i.e. do 2 for each body part or only do 3-4 sets, etc) instead of working for a quality session.
My goals for this year is to hit 195lbs, a drop of about 10lbs, and get my body fat down to about 10%, currently about 20%. My hope is to do this all by June of this year, before my 44th birthday. So by doing the old school lifting each day, 1-2 body parts each day, and adding some HIIT sessions on those days I finish early or get to the gym early I think I can reach my goal, at least that will cover about 25% of it, the other 75%, the D word, is a post for another day.
My arm routine went like this (40 mins):
- Barbell curls – pyramiding the weights, 15, 10, 8, 6, 12 (65 lbs – 95lbs – 65lbs)
- Lying Incline dumbbell curls – 4 sets of 8 with 4 twists, that is 4 incline curls, then hang my arms down and twist the weight in my hands, then another 4 incline curls – 32.5 dumbbells
- Reverse curls – 4 sets of 12 – 70lbs
- Lying triceps extension using dumbbells – pyramiding 15, 12, 10, 8, 15 (20lbs – 27.5lbs – 20lbs)
- Rope pushdowns – 4 sets of 12 – 75lbs
- Close grip pushups – 2 sets of 10
My arms were toast after this routine, going to feel it in the morning.